Monday, March 26, 2007

Taking Stock

When I have a party, I like my guests to be comfortable and happy. Rule number one: get a libation in their hands. [Note: Libation is, strictly speaking, the pouring of a drink in honor of a diety. In my lexicon, it is a drink poured in honor of a guest. Whether it's a glass of wine or whiskey or just a Coke or water or some club soda, it is symbolic of honoring a visitor to your home or event.]

At each event, I direct the guests to my most available drinks. Usually red and white wine are available. Still and sparkling water. Some sort of cold drinks (or, depending on your region, sodas, soda pops, soda waters). Occasionally we offer a couple of varieties of beer. Sometimes we will push a specialty drink. Bloody Marys, perhaps. Or encourage the consumption of liqueurs. Once we offered mango margaritas with an interior Mexican meal. (My trusty assistants did lots of lime squeezing as each of five pitchers took 3/4 cup fresh lime juice.) I served those in my martini glass collection.

Anyway. Unintended consequences. When I'm serving drinks I'll buy sodas or mixers. You never know when there will be a run on gin and tonic or Diet Coke. (If you have lots of women guests, have lots of white wine and Diet Coke. Sexist, I know. Personally when we are out and about and I order whisky and FFP orders white wine they always put the drinks in front of the wrong person. Still.) But I digress. Unintended consequences?

Now if I have a bottle of Gin or Jack Daniels it never really goes bad. So stocking up just means that your supply lasts for more occasions. But buy sparkling water or soda and they don't really last. We don't go through much of it. I might drink a Coke or Root Beer or something once a week. I might mix an occasional drink with Tonic or Club Soda. (Mostly, I drink my whiskey straight or with water and ice.) Bottled sparkling water loses its fizz. And sodas in cans? Well, over time, the contents seems to lose its pizazz. But worse, the cans leak! They do this in a most amazing way. I will quote Wikipedia.
Aluminum cans contain an internal coating to protect the aluminum from the contents. If the internal coating fails, the contents will create a hole and the can will leak in a matter of days. There is some difference in taste, especially noticeable in beer, presumably only due to traces of the processing oils used in making the can. Oils used in can manufacturing are FDA approved and must be constantly monitored.
[This isn't an academic paper so forgive me for this source. It was the only one I could find.]

I have experienced these leaks and they are very strange and messy. You will have some soda stacked somewhere. In my case, under a 'bar' in the kitchen or in a climate-controlled storage room or even a refrigerator. There will be a mess from spilled soda and, sure enough, you will find a can or two that have leaked some but not all of the contents. There will be no apparent leak. I finally saw a can leaking when I was cleaning out a small frig we hadn't used in a while. I picked up a can and a very fine spray from a microscopic hole in the side started spraying me. Obviously when the liquid reaches the level of the hole, it stops. You cannot see the hole!

I haven't seen this effect with canned beer. However, I do tend to drink beer faster than sodas!

So I guess that when I have a party or guests and stock up on these cans of stuff, I'm going to have to find some way to get rid of the leftovers or just open them and dump them down the drain. This planned obsolescence of canned beverages seems to give them a pretty short life. Although I might possibly have kept some around longer than I realized! And yes, I've found a leaking food can in my pantry more than once in my life.

You just can't stock up on some things. They won't be the same when you are ready to use them. Toilet paper, however. Doesn't ever seem to go bad.






1 comment:

Linda Ball said...

A reader commented on the next entry (I published it there for your confusion) because for some reason I didn't allow comments on this one. (Who knows why?)

Anyway, here's the comment " Suzanne Bellerive said...

Your "Taking Stock" entry didn't allow commenting, so I'll leave mine here, in response to this:

"(If you have lots of women guests, have lots of white wine and Diet Coke. Sexist, I know. Personally when we are out and about and I order whisky and FFP orders white wine they always put the drinks in front of the wrong person. Still."

How, oh how, I ask you, is it sexist to observe the differences between men and women? It is not sexist to notice these things. Men and women ARE different in VERY MANY ways, and there is neither anything wrong with that, nor in remarking upon it.

I have been accused of sexism because I see a lot of differences in men and women. I find myself often frustrated with men's behaviours, but I don't agree that that makes me sexist. It just makes me a typical woman, struggling to understand the opposite sex and cope with it.

Sexist, to me, would be saying you are a woman, therefore you MUST drink only wine or diet coke, that it is unwomanly to drink beer, and that one's pina-colada loving husband is a sissy.

I once posted to a discussion list that my ex-husband's apartment, when I visited it, was a "typical man's apartment; nothing on the walls, no extra comforts." A listmember immediately piped up angrily that I was a sexist, that her own apartment had none of what I might be expected to call "feminine" frills.

I will admit to generalizing, but not to being sexist.

A man on the list commented that because of my description of my ex's place, he knew just how to picture it; he knew what I meant.

So anyway ... I don't think your remarks were sexist. I think generalizing may be a mistake, but there's a reason people do it ... and that's because some behaviours and tastes seem common to men, and others seem more common to women. There are many exceptions to this "rule," and if I didn't believe that, I'd be a sexist."

Yeah, my husband loves to decorate (no blank walls allowed) and while he doesn't drink pina coladas, he favors white wine more and more as a cocktail.

Stepping into the whole 'stereotype' and 'sexist' pit is usually dangerous, but since the journal of unintended consequences has (unintentionally) few readers, what the hecke!