Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thank You For Rubbing This in Your Hands

With smoking ordinances more and more keeping smokers out of my smell zone, I don't think much about smoking. Except, you know, when I check on my RAI stock.

When I plowed through the stuff in my SXSW swag bag, I found this little foldover pack that looked like a matchbook. But it contained this little foil packet of lotion that you rub on your hands when you can't smoke that has extract of tobacco in it.

Rather than discard it, I put it on my desk to ponder the amazing world we live in.

And, of course, all the unintended consequences. Children getting addicted to rubbing tobacco into their hands. (The package says 'For Adult Use Only' I'll give them that.) People transferring the substance to others. I searched the WEB a bit today and found that people were wondering about these things. Other people were using the product. This user says the product smells like a dirty airplane. Hmm...that's attractive. But then if you smoke.... And besides do dirty airplanes smell like that anymore?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your "Taking Stock" entry didn't allow commenting, so I'll leave mine here, in response to this:

"(If you have lots of women guests, have lots of white wine and Diet Coke. Sexist, I know. Personally when we are out and about and I order whisky and FFP orders white wine they always put the drinks in front of the wrong person. Still."

How, oh how, I ask you, is it sexist to observe the differences between men and women? It is not sexist to notice these things. Men and women ARE different in VERY MANY ways, and there is neither anything wrong with that, nor in remarking upon it.

I have been accused of sexism because I see a lot of differences in men and women. I find myself often frustrated with men's behaviours, but I don't agree that that makes me sexist. It just makes me a typical woman, struggling to understand the opposite sex and cope with it.

Sexist, to me, would be saying you are a woman, therefore you MUST drink only wine or diet coke, that it is unwomanly to drink beer, and that one's pina-colada loving husband is a sissy.

I once posted to a discussion list that my ex-husband's apartment, when I visited it, was a "typical man's apartment; nothing on the walls, no extra comforts." A listmember immediately piped up angrily that I was a sexist, that her own apartment had none of what I might be expected to call "feminine" frills.

I will admit to generalizing, but not to being sexist.

A man on the list commented that because of my description of my ex's place, he knew just how to picture it; he knew what I meant.

So anyway ... I don't think your remarks were sexist. I think generalizing may be a mistake, but there's a reason people do it ... and that's because some behaviours and tastes seem common to men, and others seem more common to women. There are many exceptions to this "rule," and if I didn't believe that, I'd be a sexist.